Wednesday, April 30, 2008

End of Cape Town, Stefanie's Visit

On Monday I went to the University of Cape Town with Fiona. It was such a nice experience to see what life at a South African university is like. She studies marketing so I listened to a statistics lecture, followed by an economic one and to round of my morning I learned what marketing was all about in a marketing lecture, who’s lecturer really taught with enthusiasm. That evening we went to a delicious Mexican restaurant with 5 other girls. I really enjoyed seeing all of them again and we had a lot to chat about. The Tuesday morning I spent with Claudia again. We went to yoga, which I really loved. In the afternoon I met Katharine at Mug & Bean and spent the evening with her. Her mum cooked very tasty vegetarian food on a gas cooker since we had no electricity, due to load shedding. We went to watch a movie called “The other Boleyn Girl”. A cup of tea with Fiona rounded of the evening and the end of my stay in Cape Town. Early on Wednesday morning I left this beautiful city to arrive in Mosselbay where Martin expected me. It was so nice to be home again. I got cosy in our apartment while he went of to prepare himself for his Commercial Pilot’s Test.

The Thursday was a bit crazy. Don’t ask me how I did it, but when I was about to leave to pick Stefanie up from the airport I flooded the carbonator of our BMW. I tried to drive it, but lost more than 40 litres in less than 1km and had to be towed away in the end. Sitting in a road assistance truck with the BMW on the trailer we drove to the airport where Martin’s sister wasn’t sure if this was really the vehicle that was picking her up. The two of us spent the afternoon at the mall waiting for the car to be checked while poor Martin was doing his theoretical part of the commercial test with worries about his car and about us. At five o’clock they informed us that we won’t be able to take the care home and they took us to the airport to rent an opel corsa.
On Friday I took Martin to the Flight Training College. It was his big day! With a happy jet a bit nervous face he kissed me good-bye. Back home after Stefanie had woken up the two of us left for a bit of grocery shopping and a walk on Diaz Beach, where we watched funny little snails in the sand. As we were about to get into our car we heard a noise in the sky, looked up and I said to Stefanie :”This must be Martin!” My guess was right. A quarter of an hour later I got a phone call from a proud Commercial Pilot. Martin had passed his test!!! (The picture above shows the twin engine ZGO in which Martin did his test.) We rushed to pick him up and went to celebrate his success at the Panarottis in Mosselbay. Stefanie stayed until this afternoon and we did lots of nice outings with her, we took her to all our favourite places and discovered the wide white beach of Wilderness. We enjoyed sitting in the sun at the Redberry Farm, took a drive to Oudtshoorn to meet the ostriches, said hello to the dassies at the Point in Mosselbay, got into the Mexican vibe at the Coyote Cactus, went for English breakfast at Wimpy’s, we simply loved having her as a guest with us! After a meal at Steers with the widest variety of vegetarian burgers ever and the best burgers one has tried anyway…;-) Stefanie took of to fly back home.

No comments: