Monday, October 29, 2007

Martin is a private pilot!!!

Martin is a private pilot! In smooth conditions Martin took of for his private pilot test on Friday in the morning. He was tested on stalls and spins, had to show how to do a forced and precautionary landings, fly crosscountry, reading the map listening to the radio, follow their instructions and calculating his route new, if any changes appeared. He had to always radio correctly and perform all actions that a pilot has to do. He is so excited to have his licence and smiled all over the face, when I went to pick him up in the afternoon to go down to Herolds Bay. We just relaxed for a while in the warm sun and hearing the waves and Martin told me about his day. He had been so tense and nervous that he had shivered all morning and was so relieved that he actually passed his test! We went for a refreshing milkshake on this hot day. Because we had been wondering how it looks like when one gets out of this city streets we drove to the end of one. We got out of the car and crossed a field. Some strange birds flew out of the high dry grass. We went through ferns, which were just opening their leaves and through knee-high shrubs until we reached a sheer with a little mystical creek. On the rocks grew tiny white flowers. We were so surprised to find such a nice place only a few metres away from the busy town. We celebrated this special day at the Panarottis, where we had a nice Italian meal with a good glass of Rosé.
On Saturday Martin went for a flight. Suddenly I received an sms from him saying that he would fly over our house in 1 minute. I ran out to the pool because I thought that he might see me there. He made a nice circle above our house and I waved. He did really see me! It’s so strange to think that this is actually him, up in the air in this little aircraft. Soon I will fly for my first time with him! We only have to get my headset and we will take off together. I am so excited. After he had circled over our house, he planned to land in George, but the tower wouldn’t let him land because there was too much wind. He had to go land in Mosselbay instead and was picked up by a friend from the college. The plane is still there now, waiting to be picked up when the weather gets better. It is so cloudy and cold at the moment. On Sunday we just stayed at home. Martin studied hard the whole day and I sewed. It was such a quiet atmosphere and very relaxing.

1 comment:

MikeMetcalf said...

Martin, Congratulations on passing your private pilots test. I hope that the remainder of your training is also so much fun.

Does your school have copies of the book "Stick and Rudder" by Wolfgang Langewische? It is the best book I ever read for learning how to fly. It covers all of the mechanics of flight so that you can enjoy the experience even more.

Marianne, Cheryl and I really like reading your blog. It is well done.